Together with Belarussian Railways, Lithuanian Railways have accomplished a common piggyback train project Nemunas in November 2013, connecting Vilnius and Minsk intermodal terminals. It is a unique logistic solution in Central and Eastern Europe proposing special railway platforms for trucks with trailers to be transported. Project Nemunas is an alternative solution for road transport - a way to avoid traffic jams on border crossing points.
The first trial of piggyback train Nemunas to Klaipeda was released in June, 2014. Nemunas has not only shorten transportation time from Klaipeda to Koliadichi, but also reduced pollution and load on highway A1. Vilnius, Kaunas and Draugyste railway stations are fully suitable for contrailer transportation, equipped with ramps and container yards. It is also possible to perform piggyback transportation in the North - South corridor (Kaunas - Sestokai Sestokai - Kaunas). The possibility to carry out transportation to Kaliningrad - Chernyakhovsk direction was researched as these stations have all necessary infrastructures for loading the contreilers.
Transportation time from Minsk to Vilnius takes ~10 hours, to Klaipeda - 18 hours (stops at the border stations are included). Contrailer train Nemunas is significantly faster than delivering goods by trucks. It is especially important when queues are formed at the border crossing points and truck drivers have to wait for few days or more to cross the border.
Nemunas train is convenient not only for road transportation companies, but also to other parties included in transportation process (consignors, consignees, freight forwarders). Additionally, the transport mode is signifiantly environmentally friendly.
• One of the obstacles of arranging road freight between Lithuania and Belarus are long queues and heavy traffic flows at the border.
• To solve this issue, Lithuanian Railways, jointly with its partners, offers a new service – the piggyback train Nemunas.
• Nemunas is the piggyback train which can transport trucks with trailers.
• Kaunas (Palemonas) – Vilnius (Paneriai) – Minsk (Koliadichi) – Vilnius (Paneriai) – Kaunas (Palemonas).
• Cargo owners reduce their transport costs.
• Coordinated technology and transportation schedule.
• Punctuality. No queues at border crossing points.
• Significantly reduces emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere.
• Economically efficient project not only for businesses but also for the state.
NEMUNAS PROJECT – A PERFECT SOLUTION FOR ROAD TRANSPORT – A WAY TO AVOID LOTS OF TRAFFIC JAMS ON BORDER CROSSING POINTS.
Contrailer train Nemunas operator
Updated on 2020-09-24